There are numerous publications about handwriting in general and Italic handwriting specifically, the majority of the latter being published in the UK in the 1950s and 60s. While no longer in print these are well worth the effort of tracking down (see Related Links for details of specialist booksellers) and have more to offer than their undeniable period charm.
Particularly recommended are those by Alfred Fairbank and Tom Gourdie in the UK, and Fred Eager and Lloyd Reynolds in the US, who have all produced excellent Italic guides.
The following two publications can be ordered from The Treasurer. For postage costs and details of how to order, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
A Simple Guide to Italic Handwriting by Nancy Winters. Price: £5 (ex p&p).
50th Anniversary Book
Dance of the Pen: Celebrating 50 years of The Society 1952-2002, edited by John Fricker, Foster Neville and Ludwig Tan. Price: £15 (ex p&p).
A selection of covers from related or interesting publications is shown below. Click on a thumbnail to view a larger image.
- A Handwriting Manual
- Arrighi's Operina
- Beacon Writing
- Better Handwriting
- Cursive Hands
- Dance of the Pen
- Early Italian Writing-Books: Renaissance to Baroque
- English Handwriting
- From Scribble to Script
- Good Handwriting
- Good Writing
- Guide to Italic Handwriting
- Handwriting for Today
- Handwriting Sheets
- Handwriting: A National Survey
- Handwriting: Everymain's Craft
- Italic Calligraphy & Handwriting: Excercises & Text
- Italic Handwriting
- Italic Handwriting for Schools
- Italic Writing
- Italigraph Handwriting
- Italigraph Handwriting Copy Books
- Platignum Copy Book Number Three: Italic
- Sweet Roman Hand
- Teaching Children to Write
- The Art of Handwriting
- The Development of Italic Handwriting
- The Gourdie Italic Handwriting Cards
- The Irene Wellington Copy Book
- The Italic Way to Beautiful Handwriting
- The New Better Handwriting
- The Oxford Copy-Books
- Three Classics of Italian Calligraphy
- Write Italic
- Written by Hand
- Your Penmanship